A fire at an Italian eatery in San Jose triggered three alarms but it was actually a small fire knocked down quickly by firefighters, a captain told Patch.
"We did upgrade to a three-alarm and then immediately canceled it," San Jose fire Capt. Mike Van Elgort told Patch.
Initially thought to be inside the restaurant, the fire prompted a full response, the captain explained.
The fire in a crawlspace between an outdoor sign and the attic of Pasta Pomodoro, 4898 San Felipe Rd., was reported at 9:20 p.m. Tuesday, according to Van Elgort.
Firefighters arrived to find a smoldering blaze in the crawlspace of an attic shared with the adjacent Panda Express, the captain said.
It took about 10 minutes to knock down the flames but firefighters remained on scene for overhaul and to extinguish any embers, the captain told Patch.
The restaurant sustained some water damage and shut down for the night — it was near closing time, the captain said.
Restaurant Manager Mike Eickmeier told Patch the eatery would remain closed Friday but it could possibly reopen Saturday.
"We just have to get some electrical work done and clean up some water," he told Patch in a telephone interview.
The cause of the fire "appears to be electrical," Eickmeier said.