Santa Clara County residents and workers must dial 10-digit phone numbers starting Oct. 20, when Silicon Valley's new 669 area code joins the region's longstanding 408. That's because the supply of 408 numbers is quickly running out.
When the 669 is introduced in just two weeks, residents and businesses with a 408 area code will keep the same number. Yet those requesting a new or additional number may be given a 669, depending on availability.
To get accustomed to and prepared for the 54th area code to be added to California in the last 10 years, follow these simple steps:
- Notify alarm service providers.
- Reprogram equipment such as automatic dialers, speed dialers, call forwarding and modems for computer or internet dial-up access.
- Make sure that security door and gate systems are programmed to begin dialing 1+area code+telephone number.
- Test telephone equipment to determine if it can dial and receive 1+area code+telephone number.
- Update items such as checks, business cards and brochures to reflect the area code change.