It’s summer time and you know what that means – it’s bikini time. Not too excited to shed those layers and reveal what’s underneath? No need to worry because we’re here to give you some tips to getting fit to show off your bikini body.
Staying active in small ways can often reap the most benefit.
- Take your dog for a walk every morning or enjoy a walk with a friend or co-worker after lunch.
- Play beach volleyball, take a hike or go for a swim. Instead of lying in the sun for hours, get up and do something active while soaking up some rays.
- Try a new physical activity, whether it is going for a bike ride, running downtown or practicing yoga.
- Join a sports team. Exercising with others helps encourage you to stay active.
- Hire a personal trainer.
- Train for a race. Summer is when communities celebrate exercising outdoors. Many races are available in your neighborhood (see below).
When it’s 80-plus outside and you’ve already worked a long day, it’s difficult to find the motivation to face the heat. Here are some tips:
- Exercise at the coolest time of the day, typically early in the morning before work or late at night
- If it’s too hot outside, train inside in an air-conditioned space. Take advantage of your gym membership or follow along to a fitness DVD.
- Hydrate before you get thirsty. Make sure you’re hydrated before you start your run.
- When running farther distances, plan out your route to incorporate water stops at water fountains or friends’ houses.
- Stay in the shade when exercising. It can be up to 10 degrees cooler.
- Wear breathable, wicking clothes that will allow your skin to stay cooler
- If the heat is too much, split up your workout into two sessions or shorten it based on what your body needs
Every summer there are thousands of races and active events nationwide. Sign up for one near you:
- 37th Annual Bill Flodberg Mt. Madonna Challenge Trail Run in Gilroy—6K walk/run, 12K race, 18K race and 30K race (August 25)
- 2012 Catfish Crawl Open Water Swim in Morgan Hill – 1.2 or 2.4-mile swim (July 21)
- Urban Dare in San Jose – part running, part trivia quiz, part skill challenges (July 21)
- 25th Annual Tri for Fun #2 in Pleasanton – 400-yard swim, 11-mile bike, 3.1-mile run (July 21)
- West Valley Dash of Hope in Los Gatos – 5K or 10K (July 22)
- California Sprint Triathlon in Pleasanton – ½-mile swim, 14-mile bike, 3.1-mile run (July 28)
- Bad Bass Half Marathon/10K/5K in Castro Valley (July 28)
- Twilight Cycling Presented by Rabobank in Salinas (July 25, August 8)
- Emerge 3rd Annual 5K Run/Walk in San Jose (July 28)
- Giro di Pacifica in Pacifica – 16, 33, 67 and 100-mile bike (July 28)
- Salinas Valley Half Marathon in Soledad - 13.1-mile run or walk (July 28)
- Sandman Triathlon & Duathlon in Aptos – .75-mile swim, 13-mile bike, 4-mile run (July 29)
- Run to End All Runs in Los Altos – 5K fun run (July 29)
- 2012 California International Triathlon in Pleasanton – 1500-meter swim, 24.9-mile bike, 6.2-mile run (July 29)
- Norcal Open Water Swimming Series in Cupertino - .5, 1 or 2-mile swim (August 2)
- August Splash and Dash Evening Series in Cupertino – 1500-meter swim, 5km run (August 2)
- The GnaR-S-R in Santa Cruz – 1-mile swim, 5-mile run (August 3)
- Santa Cruz Trail Run in Felton – 10k, half marathon, 30k or 50k run (August 4)
- Summer Breeze Half Marathon/10K/5K in San Leandro – (August 4)
- Safeway Fast & Furious in Pleasanton – 5k run/walk (August 5)
- Tour de Peninsula in San Mateo – 2-to-6, 20, 31 or 63-mile bike (August 5)
- Crystal Springs Trail Run in Woodside – 5,11 or 22-mile run, marathon or 50km run (August 11)
- Tri Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz – 750-meter swim, 12.5-mile bike, 5k run (August 11)
- 39th Annual Los Gatos Dammit Run in Los Gatos (August 11)
- Fleet Feet Sport Women’s 5K Run/Walk in Pleasanton – 5k run (August 12)
- Bay Vista 5K, 10K and Kids Fun Run in San Mateo (August 12)
- Coastal 5K Family Fun Run & Festival in Pacifica – 5k (August 25)
- 10K on the Bay in Hayward – 5k or 10k run (August 26)
There are so many places around town to stay active. Find the one you're looking for: